1.10.2009

when to shop/buy

Typically most retail clothing stores run their huge clearances in January and June, and I've found most of them to be in the latter half of the month. There is always an exception to that rule, but these times of the year seem to be when you find most of the deals. I usually start watching the websites and the store fronts for clearance signs in the beginnings of those months so I make sure not to miss the sales.

In case you don't know already, I shop a year ahead for my kids. No, you can't predict down to perfection how much your kids will grow in a year. My kids typically grow 1 whole size in a 12-month period. Whatever size they wear in the winter, is the same size they use for the following summer. But then the winter after that, they bump up. Does that make sense? This year Luigi (the 12 year old) didn't grow at all. He's still wearing stuff from last winter, and still has new clothes in his bin that I bought him last January. I guess he'll be set for next year. So it's not always exact. But in January, if you needed clothes for that current winter, you're too late. That's why I shop ahead. When the school year starts, very rarely (depending on where you live) will they be wearing winter clothes. They're still running around in shorts. But I hate running to the store as soon as the weather starts to turn because they absolutely NEED winter clothes RIGHT NOW. It's been my experience (no matter what you're buying) that when you run to the store for something you immediately need, then that is the time you end up spending the most. If you're patient, watch prices, and do your research, then you can always find a deal. I also LOVE the convenience of having clothes waiting for them when the season changes. Buying a year ahead allows you to purchase items for about half what you pay for them if you bought them as you needed them.

If you have never shopped these sales before, you'll be used to the typical 10%-40% off that you see sporadically throughout the year. Don't be over-anxious. You might regret it just a few days later. Of course the stores want to get as much as they can out of the clothing that they no longer have space for. So they'll mark it down just a bit a week or so before they run the huge clearance. Just be patient. I know it's hard! I speak from experience! So, to make sure I don't hate myself after buying a couple carts full of clothing for 4 children, I constantly remind myself of my personal limits. You'll have to decide for yourself how much you're willing to pay, but I suggest you have a number in the back of your mind. Otherwise you end up in the store and find something super cute, and then you really will pay anything to take it home with you. I'll share with you my limits. There's no wrong or right amount. It's what you feel comfortable with. But the majority of the time I'm able to find everything we need within the limits I've set.

For boys' long pants I will pay as high as $8 if that's all I can find, but I prefer $5-$6. For shorts I might pay $6, but I prefer something around $4. For short sleeve tees I don't like to pay more than $4 and for long sleeve around $5. Girls clothes tend to be more expensive for some annoying reason. For older girl long pants I will pay as high as $10 and for shorts or capris maybe $8. For short sleeve tees $4-$5 and for long sleeve $7-$8 is my max. For toddler size, I use about the same limits as I do for the boys. When it comes down to it, you want to be close to 75% off original price. Otherwise the sale isn't much better than you can get during the regular year.

A few stores use the same process each year, even down to the types of signs and advertisements they show. With Old Navy, you'll know they've dropped their prices as low as they're going to when you see the 50% off clearance or red-lined items. It won't go cheaper than that. With Children's Place you'll see the Monster Sale signs that say 30% off already reduced items. They won't get cheaper than that. Those are the 2 that seem to be consistent every year. When these 2 sales hit, typically you know that's the time you can go to all the other stores and find their items 75% off as well.

No comments: